Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

1st Day in Bangkok

We had a good nights sleep and woke up at our awesome Shanti Lodge. To describe its atmosphere it has mirrors and mosaics all over the walls, we walk around barefoot, listen to a rooster crow all day long, and hear the sounds of tiny waterfalls. Very hippi-ish with people from all over the world here.

We got out around 8am and didn't come back until 2 this afternoon. We got scammed into taking a tuk-tuk around and went to some touristy spots we didn't really want to go. On the bright side we saw some amazing temples and got a pair of pants made for ourselves. We found a great market to go back to and get a lot of goodies to take back for our friends and family. People were nice and were excited to hear we were from the USA. They all want to get to New York City or have family that lives there!!

The atmosphere is quite busy and lots of traffic...the smell takes some getting used too. Lots of dead fish and some funky looking food. I am defintntly in a foreign country!! I have yet to experience some real "thai". I hope my stomach is up for it.

Ashley is taking a nap and I am going to find some other sites to see before the end of the day. You think its hot wherever you are...come to Southeast Asia where I have not stopped sweating!!!!!!

5 comments:

Buffalo said...

Have you taken a river taxi yet? There is a river taxi stop about 5 minutes from your hotel. Just ask reception. It's a cool way to get around, and fun for the experience.

Have a great time. I'm jealously reading your blog from my cubicle in New York!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley and Kasey!

Thanks to Kasey for writing the blog! What a GREAT way to stay in touch with everyone!

I am so excited you are there and enjoying yourselves! Yesterday, Julie (Davalla)and I were working on our rooms talking and thinking about you all. (What's it like being on the plane for that long... Wonder if they have landed... They should have landed by now... What are they seeing?)

My stomach started to churn when you talked about the smells. Can you imagine ever really getting used to the smells?! UGH!

Make sure you soak up everything so you can share it with all of us! Know that the two of you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Grace Wenstrup

Unknown said...

I am so excited and envious of both of you. Have you listened to "One Night in Bangkok" to get you fired up for the trip? I can't wait to see your pictures and hear all of your stories.

Curtis

Rita or Jim said...

wow You girls are so blessed.I wish i was with you.Having a pair of pants made for me has been one of my dreams.you are probably right about not doing all the touristy things when they drive you around and you are stuck on their time schedule.North Carolina is beautiful and all is well.The children are having a ball.We took the kids on the boat today and they loved it.Love hearing about your trip...details are wonderful.
My prayers are with you always....be safe.Love Mom and Jim

Jilly & Audy's Mom said...

Hi Kacey!!! I'm so glad to hear you made it safe. Can't wait to see all of your pictures.

Love,

Kelly