Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2007

3rd Day in Bangkok

Okay...we got up bright and early this morning and headed out on our elephant ride/tour. We took a bus at 7 am and traveled about 2 hours from Bangkok and visited a World War II cemetary and a museum. We got some good shots and walked on Death Railroad...which was constructed during WWII by the Japanese. All prisoners of war were forced to build this railway and most of them died from the conditions they built it in. It was set in the beautiful countryside of Bangkok so we got beautiful views of the mountains.

We had lunch on the river and finally during mid-afternoon got to the beautiful and majestic elephants!!!! We have such awesome pics of us riding them and feeding them. Unlike the "zoo" the elephants seem happy and free. As we were riding them...the ears of the elephant were flapping my feet and I got to sit on the elephants shoulders, pet/rub their trunks and feed them bananas. It was amazing to ride elephants in the jungle and view the beautirul mountains!!!! Probably one of the top 5 expereinces of my life so far. Also...if you did not know elephants are my favorite animal so I had the best time of my life...

After we rode the elephants we got back on the bus and stopped at a waterfall site. It was there that we met "Maurice" the monkey. He bites but we fed him potato chips which he grabbed out of our hands with his own hands. Maurice is tied up on a chain to a tree next to a highway if you get the picture. He was incredibly cute even though he does get kind of nasty. Neither Ashley and I were hurt.

Earlier I mentioned that I really wanted to talk to a Buddhist monk...well guess what I got too. I met one that was on our elephant trekking tour. We talked on a train and he was really kind to both Ashley and I. He talked about how sometimes he had to go in months sitting in the same position or not eating at all. He has lived in 52 countries practicing and teaching Buddhism. He was an inspiration and a true hightlight of my day.

We got back around 7pm tonight had some dinner and met some English guys who were stereotyping Americans. Don't worry Ashley and I made our country proud. They challenged the both of us to come and do a marathon in London!

Its been a long day...I just got back and am writing this blog, I have to take a shower, go to bed, and wake up at 5:30am tommorow and fly to Vietnam!!!!!!!!!!
Bangkok was awesome but I am ready to go.

4 comments:

Buffalo said...

Drink a Bia Saigon for me!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes... that's why you are there! To visit 'Nam! Quite a detour you took there in Bangkok.

Since I don't really like beer, is there any wine there?

Soak up every moment, girlfriends! You are having one of the greatest experiences of your lives! Thanks for letting me share it with you!

Rita or Jim said...

Kacey and Ashley,
I don't think I could have gotten on the elephant. The monkey would have driven me crazy. But the Buddhist Monk sounded interesting. Thanks for setting up this great blog. I've enjoyed it so much. Can't wait to see the pictures.
Love Mom and Jim

Rita or Jim said...

Hi kacey