Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2007

IN VIETNAM...accidents occur!!!

Okay, so we got up bright and early this morning probably around 5 in the morning. We got a taxi to the airport and left our awesome Shanti Lodge in Bangkok. The plane ride from Bankok to Ho Chi Minh was only an hour flight so it wasn't that bad at all. We got through the transition to Vietnam great...Ashley and I were both impressed with ourselves.

We got a hotel in Ditrict I in Ho Chi Minh City and there are lots of tourists and backpackers around the area. We are having a great time with the Vietnamese they are so friendly and we have had lots of laughs with them already.

The weather here is much more humid than Bangkok and it just rained an hour ago...its like 90 degrees but feels like 110!!!

So we started walking to find some shopping (of course) and we got kind of lost so we decided to take on a cyclo which is a bike taxi. (There are not very many cars here in Vietnam and mostly motorbikes and the traffic is crazy!!!! Scary to drive and walk across the streets...I find myself saying Hail Mary's all of the time.) The cyclo took us to Dong Khoi street which is a great shopping district. Once we got to the street we got nailed by a bus and were laying on the curb between a broken bicycle and a bus. Neither Ashley or I got seriously hurt but just scrapes and bruises on our bodies. The worst part was our cyclist/driver said we owed him 3$ afterwards...I lifted up my shirt to show him my scrapes on my waist and said are you crazy??!!! I did give him 2$ because I felt bad for his bike and walked away.

We just walked into a internet cafe and now we are going to walk around and shop/eat dinner/and probably go to bed early. We have a couple of tours lined up here in Ho Chi Minh City before we head up to DaNang where the group home is!!

2 comments:

Buffalo said...

Ouch, sorry to hear! That's at once expected in that traffic but also very unlucky. Glad you are ok!

Drink a glass of rice wine to dull any pains! The Vietnamese do say that it's medicinal after all.

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!