Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

DaNang, Vietnam

After I emailed last night Ashley and I had dinner and met some more Aussie's who we spent most of the night talking too. We were in the backpackers district so we have had a lot of people trying to sell us things and handicapped people asking for money. I am a huge sucker for this especially when its the little kids that ask. We had a great evening chatting it up with our new friends Peter and Greg who were very proud of being Australian and eating kangaroo!!

There was also a huge fight on the street where 2 kids got beat up with metal chairs and sticks. It was a feud over a motorbike accident. It was pretty gruesome and got everyone to stop and watch for a few minutes. I think the boys were all right in the end...the police and ambulance came about a 1/2 hour later!!!

We got on our sleeper train last night and were on it for a long time. We had some bunk mates who smiled and said hello but fortunately they got off early and Ashley and I had the room to ourselves most of the day.

A young Vietnamese boy Quang (which means light) talked to us so he could practice his English and he enjoys meeting new people. It was an awesome conversation and we learned quite a bit about the Vietnamese culture and learned that he loved Celine Dion and the movie Mr and Mrs. Smith!! He sang "Because You Loved Me" to us!!!!!!!!!

We got here in DaNang around 2 this afternoon and had some lunch and walked around. We are riding motorbikes up to the Marble Mountains tommorow and meeting up with the woman in charge of the group home.

DaNang is much more quiet than Ho Chi Minh but not much of a touristy spot. We are the only white people I have seen...people stare at us and say hello, then laugh. The children give us smiles though and it is sweet.

Looking forward to crashing...with cookies:)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Kace,
I have just spent the past half hour reading your blog, and it sounds like you are having such an AMAZING experience--I could not be more thrilled for you or proud of you! Can't wait to see all of the photos. London was a lot of fun--so much to see and do, a beautiful place. Looking forward to hearing more from you!
Love,
Joey

Jilly & Audy's Mom said...

Kacey
It sounds like you are having an awesome time! Can't wait to see all of your pictures.
Glad to hear you found the art supplies you needed and enjoy the next few days with the kids!!!
Kisses from Danny, Kelly, Jilly & Audy

Katie Dicesare said...

I want to meet Quang! Can't wait to hear about the kids and the group home experience...be safe. Katie

greg nobis said...

Tony & Frank say "please don't eat any dogs & cats"

Rita or Jim said...

Kacey,
This experience is really authentic. I like you experiencing the true Vietnamese lifestyle. I'm anxious to hear about your teaching experience. Please be careful on those motor bikes. God bless.
Mom & Jim

Anonymous said...

Ashley and Kacey,

What an interesting experience it is to be a minority. There are many lessons to be learned from this situation. Each time, I have experienced being a minority, I have come away from the experience a better person.

I want to meet Quang! Please tell me your camera takes videos!?

What an inspiration the two of you are! I am wishing I was there with you all!

Love,
Grace