Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Our 2nd Day

We have a handle on Bangkok now...no more tuk tuk's and taxi guys ripping us off. Yesterday a lot of Thai men were telling us it was tax free day (the only day of the year-convenient huh) and that we should buy some rubies and saffires. Neither one of Ashley and I are even interested in buying expensive jewelry but they were trying to get us in on their scam. I forgot to mention that yesterday so that was quite frustrating and annoying because at least 3 men approached us with this unbelieveable proposal!!!!!!!

TODAY was a lot different. We blew off all tuk tuks and made sure we paid no more than 60 baht for the taxi fair. When men came and approached us Ashley (of course not me) would say "NO, no rubies and saffires for us". They would laugh and realize we had already been tried for the scam. We felt much more confident and not as the dumb blonde americans like we were yesterday.

We got up and scheduled an elephant excursion for Friday (tommorow) and then walked down a market street where tourists hang out. It's a long market where you can wheel and deal with the locals and buy stuff. A ton of backpackers were there buying stuff and drinking beers while watching the diverse group of people. One of the locals was trying to figure out our ethnicity...norweigan, french, australian, canadian...we finally had to tell him we were from America. We have not met any Americans here...they are all from Europe, Australia, or South AFrica.

Then the best part...I had a major connection with someone today...it was with my one toothed woman who gave me a Thai massage!! It was the best hour of my life and she threw my body around in ways I didn't think I could go! It felt sooooo good especially since I just got done with my marathon. It was so incredibly relaxing and so far one of the best experiences I have had here yet. The lady who did it was really nice but she spoke only Thai. Ashley got one at the same time and right next to me...we think our massage therapists were laughing and talking about us the whole time.

After we took showers and then went back to the market area where we ate at May Kadees (vegetarian thai restaurant) and then shopped some more. We are back here at gold old Shanti Lodge going to have a beer and then hit the sack early...we are getting picked up at 6:45am for our elephant excursion.

5 comments:

julie said...

Sounds like you guys are having a great time. Bring back some Thai beer! Can't wait to see pictures.

Buffalo said...

Mmm... May Kaidees.

roseann said...

Hey Ashley (And Kacey)
Glad you're having fun. I desperately want that massage. Can't wait to hear about the elephant ride. So glad you're no longer getting ripped off...that's a HUGE milestone!!

Jilly & Audy's Mom said...

Kacey

I'm so jealous of that massage - sounds good to get some stress out! Beware of the elephant poop!!

Love,

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Holy Elephants! I want a massage! What a blessing that she didn't speak English! That way you got to relax and enjoy the massage! I am amazed that you all were ever "schnukered"! What an amazing journey!